The colour brown and its lighter cousins in tan, taupe, beige, or cream make excellent backgrounds, helping accompanying colours appear richer and brighter.
Use a neutral colour for your background:
Don’t use black as a background colour if your website has a lot of reading content. White text on a black background is difficult to read and fatigues the eye.
Clean and innocent
White is pure, clean and cool. It’s a symbol for both birth and death in different cultures and it goes well with almost any colour.
- White is the colour of snow. It has a cooling and restful effect.
- White is a symbol for purity, simplicity and empty space.
- White denotes truth and sincerity.
- White is a symbol for birth, virginity and weddings in Western countries.
- White it a symbol for death in Eastern cultures.
- White is cold and clinical. It’s associated with hospitals, doctors and dentists.
- White can cause headaches due to its brilliant colour.
Where to use
- White can give a pure and clean look to your website.
- White can be used as a neutral background colour. But less brilliant colours such as pastel tones, beige, ivory, and creams are better.