The colour brown and its lighter cousins in tan, taupe, beige, or cream make excellent backgrounds, helping accompanying colours appear richer and brighter.
Use a neutral colour for your background:
Don’t use black as a background colour if your website has a lot of reading content. White text on a black background is difficult to read and fatigues the eye.
Sophisticated and mysterious
Black is a powerful, mysterious and elegant colour. It goes well with almost any colour but it can have both positive and negative meanings.
- Black makes us feel elegant, powerful, and sophisticated.
- Black symbolises the night and the mystery of the outer space.
- Black is the colour of the elite. It connotes success, wealth, and wisdom.
- Black is formal, pure and constant.
- In Western countries black is the colour of the funereal. It’s associated with grief.
- Black can conjure up thoughts of rebellion, black mystery, satanic ritual, and the underworld.
- Black can put us in a pessimistic mood. It denotes loss and discord.
Where to use
- Black is the best colour for typography on the web.
- Black can give your website a sense of being part of the elite.
- Black can be used for photo galleries. It makes photographs look brighter against the background.
- Black makes lighter colours such as yellow, red, blue and green stand out.