On wordpress.com you can change the background and choose an alternate colour scheme.
Change the background
- Go to Appearance › Background in your blog’s dashboard.
- Upload a background image or insert the hex code of your background colour.
If you want to use a background image instead of a plain background colour, you can find some sources for background images here:
Change the colour scheme of the template.
- Go to Appearance › Theme Options and choose the colour scheme you like.
If you want to use your very own colours you will need to purchase the custom CSS upgrade. But this upgrade only makes sense if you are familiar with CSS.
For help with CSS try:
It didn’t work?
Visit the WordPress Support Center
On Wix.com you can easily change the colour of every design element:
- Open your template and click on the element you want to change.
- Choose “Color” on the Menu.
- Replace the existing hex code with the hex code of your preferred colour. You can also change the text colour here but we will do this later when I have introduced you to the typography specials on the web.
If you want to change the background colour for a single page:
- Click on the background menu on the left navigation bar.
- Choose “site”.
- Replace the existing site background colour.
It’s also possible to change the background of the entire website:
- Click on the background menu on the left navigation bar..
- Choose “master page”.
- Select a background colour and texture or upload your own background image.
It didn’t work?
Visit the Wix Support Center
The colour brown and its lighter cousins in tan, taupe, beige, or cream make excellent backgrounds, helping accompanying colours appear richer and brighter.
Use a neutral colour for your background:
Don’t use black as a background colour if your website has a lot of reading content. White text on a black background is difficult to read and fatigues the eye.
Clean and innocent
White is pure, clean and cool. It’s a symbol for both birth and death in different cultures and it goes well with almost any colour.
- White is the colour of snow. It has a cooling and restful effect.
- White is a symbol for purity, simplicity and empty space.
- White denotes truth and sincerity.
- White is a symbol for birth, virginity and weddings in Western countries.
- White it a symbol for death in Eastern cultures.
- White is cold and clinical. It’s associated with hospitals, doctors and dentists.
- White can cause headaches due to its brilliant colour.
Where to use
- White can give a pure and clean look to your website.
- White can be used as a neutral background colour. But less brilliant colours such as pastel tones, beige, ivory, and creams are better.