Every website needs a logo. It’s the first impression people get of your company.
The logo defines your site identity and confirms for your site visitors what site they are on. The logo is also an important navigation feature that links to the homepage.
The logo should look professional and has to be:
- Use a clean and clear font style.
- Use one font family with different styling.
- Create a vector graphic that can be scaled and save a version of the logo as a small gif to put on the website.
- Create a logo that reflects you or your business’s goals.
- Think about the personality of your company and choose an appropriate font: serious, playful, hand-drawn…
- Work in black and white and add the colour later.
- Use only one additional colour to black and white.
- Use letters, not images.
- Use a transparent or plain background.
- Don’t use crazy or ultra thin fonts.
- Don’t use more than two fonts and weights.
- Don’t create a raster image made out of pixels like jpg or gif.
- Don’t create a logo that has to be explained.
- Don’t create a logo with acronyms or the initials of your company.
- Avoid visual clichés.
- Don’t gloss up your logo with special effects such as shadow, embossing or layer styles.
- Don’t use photography.
- Don’t use a background image.