Information about yourself or your business can be delivered on the web by static or dynamic websites. Static websites are easy and cheap to create. They allow you to provide some text and images in an eye-pleasing manner. It’s also possible to create a small online-shop or a blog.
What’s a static website?
Static websites deliver information without any bells and whistles. The layout and the page content are created together. The website is composed of different HTML documents that are stored on a web server.
Words and instructions for how they should appear on the web are stored in the HTML document, which has to be uploaded to a web server. This means that the content does not change until the next edition.
Many website builders use static publishing to deliver web content. You create and modify your pages in a web-editing interface based on a database and the pages are published as static pages.
Go with a static website when:
- You want to create a small website.
- You objective is to provide basic information about you or your business.
- You do not plan to update the content daily.
- You are quite sure that you will not need to add some dynamic functionality such as user-login in the future.
- You can live with a fixed layout that cannot be changed dynamically.
- You will provide the same content to all your users.
- Quick and easy to create.
- Free online website builders with dynamic web-editing interface are available.
- Many ready to use templates to choose from.
- Less prone to technology errors.
- Cheap to host.
- Static content is easily visible for search engines.
- Complex designs are difficult to realize with website builders.
- Software or online application required for creating and updating the content.
- Less flexibility and less control over the look and feel.
- Cannot handle complex websites with lots of pages.
- The content or layout only changes when you manually update the pages.